After two years since the previous version, a new YouTube-DL GUI (YouTube-DLG) version was made available for download recently. The new 0.4 version ships with a a new user interface, easier format and save path selection and more.
- options to select the video and audio format;
- post-processing options such as: extract audio from video file, embed thumbnail in audio file, add metadata, select audio quality;
- can embed subtitles into the video file (mp4 only);
- configurable filename format for the downloaded audio/video file;
- supports authentication;
- allows using a proxy;
- can specify user agent and referrer;
- supports passing extra youtube-dl command line options.
YouTUbe-DL GUI automatically downloads (and updates) the youtube-dl binary so you don’t have to worry about having an old youtube-dl that no longer works. By default, the binary is saved under the ~/.config/youtube-dlg directory.
For post-processing, the application uses FFmpeg, so you’ll need this installed for some options, like merging DASH files, etc.
Changes in YouTube-DL GUI 0.4:
- new user interface;
- easier format selection (now available directly in the main UI, and not in the app settings);
- easier save path selection (now available directly in the main UI, and not in the app settings);
- added new options to move item in queue, pause, play, delete, pause, etc.;
- added new supported youtube-dl options: -v, –ignore-config, –hls-prefer-native, –no-mtime, etc.;
- added option for embedding thumbnails to audio files;
- support for new output templates;
- added generic video formats (3gp, mp4, webm, etc..);
- added dynamic format options: the “default” format option in the UI downloads the best available format (“best” option in youtube-dl), while setting the default format as well as enabling the ‘Extract audio from video file’ option will download the best audio (“bestaudio” option in youtube-dl) available;
- calculate final size of post process files;
- extract final extension after merging process;
- extract final extension after recording process;
- bug fixes and various other changes.
For more information, see the YouTube-DL GUI changelog.
Using the new YouTube-DL GUI is fairly easy. Simple enter the URL (or multiple URLs) in the “Enter URLs below” box, then click “Add”. To start downloading, click the start button (cloud icon in the bottom right hand side corner of the app window).
Install YouTube-DL GUI in Ubuntu or Linux Mint
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt update
sudo apt install youtube-dlg
For other Linux distributions and Windows, see the YouTube-DL GUI GitHub page.